Saturday, May 6, 2017

Watercolor Wash Background

Another Make It Monday for me, since I was so lucky last week ;)!  Plus I couldn't pass up a chance to play along with Laurie Schmidlin's first MIM tutorial!  She showed us how to make two kinds of watercolor wash backgrounds, one with emboss resist and one without.

I chose to make a resist background with shades of aqua that I added some yellow to along the bottom and a classic favorite of mine, Background Basics: Tin Types.


Stamped some more Bitty Bouquets since I had used them earlier, but this time I inked them with Tim Holtz Distress Ink markers to get a softer sketchy colored look to match the background.  So much fun!

8 comments:

lainey said...

Kelly, pretty emboss resist watercolor background - love all the splotches and splatters. Nice selection of colors for your bitty bouquets and lovely design. Thanks for your tip re watercolor paints - I'm still deciding what to do and will probably continue using the cheap set for a while. I'd love to get really good at watercoloring some day!

Lyn said...

Love your card, a gorgeous background, still have not got to sit and create but enjoying what everyone has done this week <3

Carmela said...

Love your card! The background is beautiful and I love the circle cutout with the flowers inside!

A Cup of Cold Water said...

Awesome cards...I love your soft background, Tin Types worked beautifully.

Marcia Hill said...

Beautiful, beautiful background Kelly...love the soft colors, splatters, and the emboss resist! And your flowers are just lovely all nestled into the circle opening! Lovely, lovely card!! :0)

Cindy Beach said...

Hi Kelly,
I remember seeing you around at SCS, way back when! SO good to visit your blog. I love the way you continued the sketchy style of the background by using Distress Inks to stamp the flowers. Your card is beautiful in every way!

TLady said...

WHAT A WONDERFUL WAY to use this challenge! I LOVE the resist & the colors you've used & just EVERYTHING you've done here! ;) SUPER JOB!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Betty Wright said...

Gorgeous, Kelly! Love the framing, flowers, and sentiment! Lovely emboss resist wash with the background!