Sunday, May 1, 2011

Spring Fest in Buffalo

Yesterday, I attended a Splitcoaststampers event in Buffalo, NY, called "Spring Fest"!  About 85 stampers got together to complete "shoebox" table projects, and to swap items like ATC cards, 3-D projects, and cards.

In the morning and afternoon, we sat at tables of eight and completed our "shoebox" projects.  Everyone brought a project to share, with all of the supplies needed in a "shoebox".  Then you go around the table, and complete all of the projects.  By the end of the day you end up bringing home about 16 cute things!  You learn so many tips and tricks during the day.  This was my shoebox project, a variation on a card that I did earlier this year:


I made the background using Leaf Prints from PTI, and a text background stamp from Penny Black.  I had the nestie oval and butterfly completed for each participant before the swap, so they just had to "slap" it on.  The sentiment is from PTI's Love Lives Here, and I coated the coordinating butterfly die with Martha Stewart clear coarse glitter.

I signed up to do the ATC swap...I had to make 26 of these little suckers!  This design seemed like a great idea at the time, until I was on about card #4 and had to thread sooo many more buttons with twine!  This ATC is also a variation on a card that I made earlier this year:


Papertrey Ink's Button Boutique card die is almost the size of a typical ATC, so I used that with the coordinating stamp set.  Also stamped Polka Dot Basics in the background, used a gingham square from Bitty Background Blocks, and the pea pod from Baby Button Bits.

Not only was the day a ton of fun, but prizes were involved, too!  Each person got a door prize.  When my number was called, I was lucky that there were 4 Spellbinders Nestie sets on the table, so I chose Labels Ten.  But the end of the day held a big surprise.  I purchased about 20 raffle tickets for a grand total of $5.00 and put them all in one "basket"...for the Spellbinders new Grand Calibur die-cutting and embossing machine....and I WON IT!  I practically screamed (and fainted) when they called out my number! 

The day ended at "Buffalo Stamps and Stuff" a store in Amherst, NY, just stocked with the latest and greatest stamps and supplies.  I snagged 4 Tattered Angels Glimmer Mists (they were on special for us, buy one get one free!), some VersaColor ink pads, 2 glaze pens, White Opal Liquid Pearls, and an Antique Linen Re-inker!

It was just a such a fun day all around!  Special thanks to Tracy Harp and all of her friends for making this event so special every year!

13 comments:

Kara said...

love the softness of your shoebox project....love the leaves stamped in such dreamy colors!

Cathy Weber said...

You must have had such fun!! I love your card and your ATC. I remember the card you made with it. You were so lucky and I bet you really enjoy your Grand Caliber. Make sure you show us some great projects you make with it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had great fun Kelly - and wow, to win that Grand Calibur! Hehe, I'm going a little green with envy over here ;)
Love your cute card and ATC btw, TFS. Hugs, Ruth S

Jen Adcock said...

Holy Cow! What wonderful creations! So fun and so beautiful. Totally Kelly-style! Whoohoo about winning big! Yessssss! I hear ya about threading buttons. Bless. Needless to say you had one fantastic day! Stuff crafting dreams are made of. Awesome!

Lynn Mercurio said...

These are great Kelly. I love shoebox swaps. I used to go to one we had here in the St. Louis area every month...but as I got busier, the less time I have to attend. They ARE great fun.

Diane Jaquay said...

These are AWESOME, Kelly! I love the soft, delicate colors and design of the card, SO pretty!

Rachel said...

That sounds like such a fun event! And I love that card a LOT, but can see how making 28 of them would be so much work. Congrats on winning the grand prize, I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it!

-rwk

IamDerby said...

Love love love that card! so pretty

Julia Aston said...

Love your card and your cute ATC Kelly! Sounds like a super fun time and what great prizes you got !!!

Mona Pendleton said...

I love them both Kelly! The first one is so pretty and the second is sweet :) I grew up in Buffalo and attended SUNYUB! Small world ;)

Joan B said...

ooh gorgeous stuff and congrats on the big win. it sounds like a blast

Pauline said...

Gorgeous cards, so pretty, but I can appreciate how long it took to thread all those buttons!

Congrats on your big win too, sound like you had a cracking time.

Joyce across the Pond said...

Wonderful cards...love them....and dare I say you are showing your 'British' (perhaps even your 'Irish'/Ulster Scots) heritage in using the 'slap it on' saying etc.....that is something we say frequently when it's not important how something is placed or needs to be executed quickly....so that gave me a smile!!